Friday, August 2, 2013

The Invasion

Here's the final piece I wrote for Mamalode that was not chosen for publication. This one was written for the theme "space."

The Invasion


“I’m going to take a shower now. No hitting, fighting or screaming, okay?”
“Okay, Mommy,” says my eldest.

Before the water gets hot, before I can even heave my pregnant self behind the curtain they are here- invading my space. Three beings crammed into the smallest room in the house. 

There’s been a quarrel. One is screaming about a Barbie. The other is crying, “Pick up you! Pick up, mama!”
Against my better judgment, I get in the shower. A struggle begins with the little one; repeated attempts to keep the shower curtain closed. I ultimately lose the battle.

Her big sister wonders aloud if it’s snack time; it’s been 20 minutes since breakfast.

And then, all of a sudden, silence. I am alone again. When I emerge from the bathroom, there they are together, curled up in my bed, quietly turning pages of a storybook. All is forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment