Thursday, August 18, 2011

My first Nuggets: This & That


I have borrowed an idea, after being given permission by the author, to try my hand at NuggetsDig’s definition is as follows: little bits of the season in photos and words about the last week.  I have yet to post any pictures on this blog, because I use an old point and shoot and I don’t really know how to use it.  I use the ‘easy’ mode, I’m not afraid to admit it.  I sometimes throw my hands up in disgust and pass the camera to my husband.  Faces blown out, blurry shots, red eye, too dark- yeah, I can do that. Every now and then I take a decent picture- but I like to focus on the subject matter rather than the technique.  My bucket list includes a top-of-the-line camera and lessons on how to use it.  Someday…

My lil Boo turned one last week.  She rocked not one, but two birthday parties.  She got the song and (crooked because it was made by yours truly) cake routine at each- but the second time around she reacted with much more thrill.  My heart melted to see how wonderful she felt.  That particular moment when she realized that we were singing to her!













Sugar buzz!!!!!!










She really preferred squishing it between her fingers to eating it.  



My dad was visiting for the baby’s birthday.  He good-naturedly came along on our trip to the party supply store to buy a balloon.  Big sis has done it for each of her three birthdays.  The tradition continues.  He also tirelessly shleped the baby into and out of the car seat a bazillion times and pushed the double stroller all over town.  On the morning of the baby's birthday, we walked over to our neighborhood park and played for a bit.

     

   She can pull herself up to stand, sometimes.  If her decision to wait until 10 months and 30 days to begin crawling is any sort of indication- lil sis has no intention of walking any time soon.
                         

  



 An impromptu game of catch proved to be amazingly entertaining. Watching anything roll or crash down the stairs is always funny.  Thump, thump, thump, giggle, clap, do it again, do it again!  Repeat 27 times.


  
Saturday was our sixth wedding anniversary.  We bathed the girls and put them to bed like any other night.  We watched a movie.  Sadly I cannot remember what we watched.  Must not have been very good.  I took big sis out for a little errand during R.C.’s morning nap.  We took the camera out to the grounds of the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula.  The location of above mentioned nuptials six years ago.   I wanted to try my hand at this.  Thanks Nici for passing this along.  I highly suggest checking the website out, my pictures don’t do it justice. Dear Photograph: Take a picture of a picture from the past in the present.  I framed the one that sucked the least and gave it to my husband for our anniversary.  There was another wedding being set up when we arrived.  Big sister wanted to go to the party.  She also wanted to go to a park and swing, but I had an agenda.  She enjoyed looking at the helicopter and tank situated on the grounds of the Military Museum and also liked climbing the fire tower steps.  She wanted to go up and see the “tree house” at the top, but it was locked.








 We had our first family outing to the river.  The girls played in the shallow muddy water at a put-in for throngs of tubing enthusiasts and even a few rafts and canoes.  Everyone who passed the girls commented on how much fun they seemed to be having.  Big sis sat on a piece of cast-off driftwood about 3 feet from shore.  She was pretending that she was on a boat.  Poor thing paddled and paddled for eternity, alas her vessel marooned, she switched to singing Row Row Row Your Boat.  Our choice spot on the beach made for good people watching.  Luckily the baby, who will try to eat ANYTHING (more on that later...), didn't seem interested in eating the sand.




 

Daddy took big sis to her first Osprey game.  They made it through six innings.  She was wired on sugar, flush from being outdoors, and completely filthy when she returned- but it was so worth it.  Ollie the Osprey signed her ticket.  She called him that big, silly bird






I once dated a guy who refused to attend the fair with me.  I was so glad when I met my husband and he loved going.  We go every year.  Sometimes twice.   Having children really changes your priorities at an event like this, so we decided to divide and conquer.  Hubby played bingo while I took both girls to the rides.   It was crowded, dirty, loud, hot, and hectic.  The evening ended in tears (big sis didn’t have a nap that day) but I don’t think any of us regretted going.  I do regret my dinner choice- chicken stir fry made by a local church group does not make for good fair food.  Sorry.  Go with the vikings and fry bread if you have the stomach for it.  Just my humble opinion. 




 next year you'll get to ride too



Sometimes, I am forced to shower while the lil Boo is awake.  This is always tricky because she cannot be left alone for one second without the fear she’ll pull something over on top of herself or put something inappropriate in her mouth.  I’ve seen her try to eat lint out of the carpet, magnetic letters from sister’s easel, rocks, doll clothing, and once I fished my friend’s earring out of her mouth.  Hillary didn’t even know she’d gotten it out of her ear.  That girl’s got stealthy moves.  This morning I busied her in the bathroom with the bottle of (childproof) ibuprofen.  She likes the noise it makes when she shakes it.  After a few minutes I realized it had grown awfully quiet on the other side of the curtain.  When I pulled the vinyl curtain back I didn’t expect to see this:

 mama got to play 52 panty liner pick-up

She was quite proud of the mess she had made.  While I was cleaning them up- she tried to quench her thirst from a near-empty bottle of lotion.  Thankfully she didn’t think it tasted too good.  My dad says it’s karma that I got a kid who will try to eat anything.  Family legend has it that I drank an airplane size bottle of tequila at 18 months of age and before I was two, I tried my hand at a bottle of my mom’s india ink she had stored in the basement. 

   And finally, while I put the little one down for her late morning nap today, big sister got her mitts on my camera.  She unzipped the case, turned it on, and managed to take seven pictures.  SEVEN!  Did I mention I was only out of the room for about 90 seconds??  My girl is into landscapes.
 










    


  Have a great weekend.















2 comments:

  1. Lovely nuggets!

    First, Love this: I like to focus on the subject matter rather than the technique. Me too.

    Second, I LOVE that you did the dear photograph thing! The first one is especially lovely.

    And, We got married on a friend's farm but our reception was at the Fort! Love that place.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first nuggets, so glad Nici is happy to share that format with the rest of us!

    I just found out about the dear photograph and another cool idea young me/now me http://www.zefrank.com/youngmenowme/

    I did an easy-ish photography tutorial if you want to come check it out http://www.shesuggests.com/2011/05/22/im-not-a-photographer-i-just-play-one-on-m-blog/

    ReplyDelete